- Regardless of Inter or Intra-site replication – what is being replicated is the same.
- Replication elements are broken down into partitions.
- KCC Generates a replication topology for each partition. Partitions are as follows:
- Schema (Forest Wide)
- Configuration (Forest Wide)
- Domain (or Directory) (Domain Specific)
- Application (Forest Wide or Domain Specific) [Can be multiple applications]
- Replication between sites
- Can use either RPC over IP (IP) or SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
- IP send synchronously and is preferred
- SMTP sends asynchronously via an email message
- Requires implementation of AD CS and can only replicate the following partitions:
- Global Catalog
Typically used for unstable / flapping networks.