Domain Controllers within a Site in DCs
- Consider the following when placing a DC at each site:
- Logins will be quicker if a DC is local
- WAN Link – may slow down connections to a DC at a different location
- LDAP Query/login scripts etc. can cause congestion on a DC.
- May not want to put a DC at a location where there are few staff if the WAN-link is suitable for cross WAN authentication etc.
- Suggest to put 2 DCs at a site for resiliency purposes (More if required for load balancing).
- However, if the site hosts few users, 2 DCs might be overkill
- In the event there are no available DCs in a site, clients will determine the next closest site to authenticate with based on the site link costs (More on site link costs later).